My Tofu Scramble Recipe
The reason most people don’t like tofu is that it has a very bland flavor, but what most people don’t know is that it absorbs all the flavors you combine with it when you use it in cooking.
If you cook it with onions, it will take on an onion flavor. If you use garlic it will absorb the garlic flavor and so on. Tofu looks similiar to cheese but it’s made of curdled soybean milk.
Another word for it is bean curd. So, I’m gonna be showing you how to make scrambled bean curd. Oh my god what is my life coming too!
All kidding aside though, for a food that gets such a bad rap tofu is a hidden gem in cooking healthy because you can add your own favorite flavors and make it taste like you’re eating your favorite food.
Plus, it has basically no fat, is low calorie and contains more healthful nutrients then you can shake a stick at.
Did you know that tofu contains tryptophan?
Tryptophan is an amino acid that helps you feel calm and relaxed and when combined with carbohydrates, like a piece of toast for example, it will make you sleep like a baby.
Who would have ever thought?
So, now that you know a little more about this wonder food, do you think you would like to try my tofu scramble recipe? This is the recipe for tofu that I love the most and eat for breakfast
instead of scrambled eggs!
Now that I’m hooked on this tofu scramble recipe, eggs taste funny to me.
Alrighty then, come with me into my tofu kitchen and I will show you how to make my famous tofu scramble recipe.
My Tofu Scramble Recipe
This is not in exact measurements because I usually just eyeball it when I make it.
- 1/4 package firm tofu ( I use silken tofu from the organic section in my store but you don’t have to. You can buy it in the regular section too.)
- chopped green and red onions
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper or herb seasoning
- a few pinches of turmeric (I use this because I personally like the flavor, its the ingredient they use in curry, you can leave it out if you don’t like it)
- chopped green or red pepper or other colored peppers
- pita bread
- tzaiki sauce ( greek style cucumber sour cream dressing )
Okay now lets get busy!
- Using a large frying pan pour some olive oil into the pan and throw the red onions, garlic and green pepper into the pan over medium heat.
- Let that fry for a few mintues then add the tofu. Sprinkle with salt and pepper or herbs of choice.
- Fry this up over medium to medium high heat depending on how hot your burners are. Just watch it to make sure it doesnt burn.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or so.
- Once it’s cooked cut a pita bread in half and fill with the tofu mixture. Top with tzaiki sauce, green onions and salsa and enjoy!
Now that tastes good!
Got a tofu scramble recipe you like? It seems we could all use good tofu recipes so feel free to leave your favorite tofu recipe below.