South Beach Diet Menu
The South Beach Diet Menu helps you to cut out processed foods and teaches you to eat “good carbs”.
This diet is not a low carboydrate or low-fat diet but works to help you lose weight anyway. If you are looking for a diet that is flexible, this might be the one you will like and be able to stick to long-term.
It’s based on the idea that one side effect of weight gain is the impairment of the hormone insulin’s ability to process fuel, fats and sugar properly. This condition is called insulin resistance. As a result our bodies store more fat than they need to.
Much of this weight comes from the carbs we eat, especially processed carbs found in baked goods, breads, snacks and convenience foods. With processed foods most of the fiber
has been taken out and without adequate fiber our bodies change for the worse.
When you decrease the consumption of those bad carbs, insulin resistance begins to clear up. Weight starts to drop off and your body start to metabolize carbs properly.
In summary, the South Beach diet permits good carbs (fruits, vegetables and whole grains) but cuts out the bad carbs like( processed foods, especially where the fiber has been striped out during manufacturing).
What About South Beach Diet Meals?
- You eat normal sizes of most things like meat, fish, chicken, turkey and shellfish and have lots of vegetables, cheese, eggs and nuts.
- Eating salads with olive oil is part of this diet.
- You eat three balanced meals per day.
- You get to eat until your hunger is satisfied and you are urged to eat snacks in between meals whether you need them or not.
- The first 2 phases have a food list of choices that show foods that you should or should not eat.
South Beach Diet Menu Phase 1
The South Beach Diet has three phrases.
- The first phase, phase 1, lasts for two weeks.
- It is the strictest phase of the three phrases and is designed to help you eliminate eating too many bad carbs (these are mainly processed foods)
- It allows ample portions of protein, good fats, and the lower glycemic index carbs that blood sugar control.
- Once you complete this phase your cravings for sweets , baked goods and starches will be gone.
- You don’t have to measure portions or calories or anything else. Meals should be of normal size and enough to satisfy hunger.
Here is an a one day example of the South Beach Diet Menu phase 1. (South Beach Diet Recipes included)
South Beach Diet Menu Phase 2
After being on phase 1 for 14 days it’s recommended to switch to phase 2.
- Here you will start to gradually introduce back healthy carbs, fruit, whole grain bread, rice , whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes etc.
- Weight loss slows down a little on phase 2 which is why some dieters chose to stay on phase 1 longer than two weeks. If you feel you can stick to phase 1 longer, than go ahead. But it is a bad choice for a long-term diet so it’s best not to stick to phase 1 for more than another two weeks or so, simply because it’s too restrictive.
- You can stay on phase 2 until you reach your goal weight and then move onto phase 3 which is the lifetime diet.
- If you happen to fall off the wagon on phase 2 and eat certain things that cause you to gain back weight then it is advised to switch back to phase 1 again until you drop the pounds you gained.
Here is a one day South Beach Diet Menu example for phase 2 (South Beach Diet recipes included)
South Beach Diet Menu Phase 3
By now you should be at your best or ideal weight. If you have stuck with the diet until now your blood chemistry should be better at doctors visits.
- Phase 3 is the phase that will help you maintain the benefits and improvements you have gained. This is how you will eat for the rest of your life.
- There is no food list for this phase because you should be knowledgable enough about this diet to be able to stick to its core principles.
- If you slip backwards and gain a bit of weight always go back to phase 1 and start over until you gently pull yourself back to the South Beach principles.
- After all the diet was made to allow you to eat the way you want so if you have too many desserts now and again, great, enjoy! But just come back to where you started and keep going from there.
Here is an a one day example of the South Beach Diet Menu phase 3. (with South Beach Diet recipes)
Now that you have a good overview of what is involved in the south beach diet menu plans and its principles go ahead and start with phase 1 and work through all three phases.
You should have better results with blood work after your doctors visits if you stick with all of the South Beach Diet menus long enough.
You will of course want to have the complete South Beach Diet Menu for the entire South Beach diet plan so getting the South Beach Diet Book by clicking the link below is a great idea.