Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan
While the mediterranean diet meal plan is not a calorie counting diet it can certainly be used to help you lose weight. You can follow this diet but eat smaller portions.
The mediterranean diet is basically a lifestyle diet that involves eating healthy foods. These foods are based on foods eaten by countries that border on and around the mediterranean sea.
Some principles of this heart healthy diet plan are:
- Eat at least one piece of fruit a day and eat vegetables with each meal.
- Colorful vegetables are the focus of this diet. This ensures you get enough vitamins and minerals to maintain great health.Eat beans,dried fruit and seeds and nuts at snacks.
- Eliminate white bread, pasta and white rice and eat only whole grain cereals, breads, pasta and rice.
- Cereals you chose to buy and eat should not contain added sugar but should be high fiber cereals instead.
- Eat fish and chicken most of the time and only eat read meats a few times per month.
- Limit eggs to a few times a month as well.
- Cooking with olive oil is one of the mainstays of this diet, so use it on salads and in other cooked foods.
For further information on health benefits of eating the Mediterranean diet menu plan click here.
Sample Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan.
- Fat free yogurt (Greek is a good choice) topped with strawberries and fiber cereal or substitute yogurt for a delicious yogurt blueberry smoothie.
- 1 whole wheat english muffin with a slice of turkey or ham 1 handful or dried fruits such as apricot, raisins, cranberries.
- Orange juice or a glass of milk if you don’t drink the smoothie!
- Two handfuls of walnuts or almonds Two crackers with a slice of low-fat cheese
- Chicken or fish with
- steamed broccoli or cauliflower
- Spinach and kale salad with some cut up colorful vegetables and crumbled feta cheese /with balsamic vinegar dressing on top.
- Apple or orange Lentil soup Two or three crackers
- Baked salmon with freshly squeezed lemon,
- Brown rice with mixed vegetables and pine nuts.
- Steamed carrots and cauliflower drizzled with a little olive oil.
- 1 glass of wine
- fresh fruit
For a full understanding of all the healthy eating principles of the Mediterranean style diet and a many more examples of the Mediterranean diet menu plan try the Mediterranean Diet Prescriptions Book from Amazon. It’s packed full of recipes and meal plans and tells you about the benefits of this diet.