The first thing you should do when you want to lose weight on this diet is to cut out all of the high calorie foods. The reason for this is that many of the high calorie foods are also often high in fat and low in fiber.
Condiment Do’s And Don’ts
Losing weight on a low fat high fiber diet means knowing which foods to avoid and what to include. Condiments can often contain hidden fat that you don’t think about when you add them to food.
You should avoid adding high in fat condiments to your food which include:
- sour cream,
- cream and oils.
You can add lite or fat-free condiments such as:
- fat-free sour cream
- low-fat or non-fat salad dressings
- Balsamic vinegar
- plenty of fresh herbs for flavor.
Losing weight on a low-fat high fiber diet also has a lot to do with how you prepare your food.
The way you prepare your meals will help you cut calories and fat. When you fry foods you usually use butter, margarine or high fat oils.
Instead of frying and sautéing in butter or margarine make your food by:
Cooking this way cuts out the fattening butter, oils or margarine.
Remember that on a low-fat diet you can still have:
just prepare them without any added fat.
Foods To Reduce
Make sure to reduce your intake of dairy products making better choices such as:
- skim milk,
- low fat or fat-free sour cream
- and cut back on cheese or use light or calorie reduced or lower in fat cheeses.
Once some of the fat has been taken out of your diet you should now look to add in some fiber. Foods which have fiber will make you feel fuller longer and will help keep you digestive tract running smoothly. Good digestion means you won’t get constipated.
If you don’t like eating fruit and vegetables try juicing them and drinking them or adding to soups or sauces.
Don’t forget to include grains in your diet.
Make choices like whole grain products including whole grain pasta and bread.
As you follow a low-fat high fiber diet your body will be getting the nutrients it needs and you won’t be consuming any empty calories.
Foods which are high in fiber and low in fat include:
- dried beans,
- 100 percent bran cereal,
- dried peas,
- dried fruit and berries.
Other great choices are baked potato, yams, brown rice, apples, rye bread, whole grain breads and pasta and spinach or collard greens.
Low Fat High Fiber Diet Plan
Here is a low-fat meal plan sample for 1 day.
- Start with scrambled egg whites,
- a cup of berries
- half slice of toast with sugar-free jam.
On another day you can have a slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter and half an orange.
People always in a hurry can make a smoothie the night before with non-fat yogurt, stevia, fresh fruit and cinnamon and have that in the morning.
- Salads are a great choice with some chicken or turkey added.
- Use lemon juice with basil, salt and pepper instead of dressing.
- Steam cabbage, broccoli, carrots, celery and chopped cilantro and toss with balsamic vinegar.
- If making a sandwich choose one slice of whole-grain bread and add cucumbers, lettuce, and water-packed tuna.
- Top this with a slice of low-fat cheese and melt under a broiler.
- Fruit is always great for desert.
Eat food with protein – choose between:
- pork or hamburger (lean varieties only)
- Make a meatloaf out of lean ground turkey and lean ground beef and add vegetables like celery, onion, parsley and carrots, plus one egg and some flax meal.
- To make a complete meal add some brown rice and a large salad.
- Stir-fry veggies like bean sprouts, celery, onions and broccoli with chicken, beef or pork and season with ginger and low-sodium soy sauce.
Losing weight on a low-fat high fiber diet does not have to mean you cut out all the foods you love. You just have to choose the low-fat or no fat versions and cook them without added fat or calories.
check out the low fat low calorie high fiber recipes at yummly.com