How To Reduce PMS Symptoms
By Eating The Right Foods
(Please read this page first and then come back here and get your free PMS diet plan and PMS diet menu.)
Not only is it important to know what to eat but also which foods can aggravate the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.
Take a look here to see which PMS foods to avoid.
While there are many possible causes of PMS or at least severity of PMS symptoms, knowing what to put into your body can really help.
Foods To Eat That Help PMS
There are many recommendations on how you can make dietary changes to help PMS. Our PMS dietary advice gives you the most important foods to eat that will help with PMS symptoms like bloating, gas, diarrhea, PMS headaches, irritability and PMS and depression
(caused by PMS) and premenstrual cramps.
So, before you go seeking other treatment for PMS try to alleviate PMS first through diet.
Here’s how to reduce PMS symptoms:(with the right foods)
1 – Salmon and fish – like tuna, sardines, herring and mackerel contain omega-3 fatty acids. You may have heard of them before because studies show that they can decrease cramps and other symptoms. Low levels of omega 3 have been linked to depression so if you are feeling the PMS blues reach for some fish. It also contains magnesium, iron and zinc plus calcium, all things women need to stay happy during PMS.
2 –Eat lean meats like chicken which contains selenium. Anxiety has been associated with low levels of selenium. Tuna and whole grains in particular contain this important mineral,so during PMS make sure to get lots. Other sources include Brazil nuts, lean beef and other seafood.
3. Soy protein – soy protein like tofu, soy milk, tempeh and edamame (boiled soybeans) contain plant hormones that can lessen PMS symptoms on the whole.
Evidence shows that soy helps the body absorb the extra estrogen and progesterone that can make you feel in a bad mood.
4. – Carbs – carbs build serotonin, which is the chemical in your brain that makes you feel good. Try eating complex carbohydrates like fruit, vegetables and whole
grains because they are broken down more slowly in the blood stream, keeping blood sugar levels even and serotonin levels more steady.
5. Water vegetables – many women suffer with bloating during PMS. In order to help alleviate bloat caused by PMS eat vegetables that have a high water content.
They help you go to the bathroom which aids in bloat reduction. Vegetables contain fiber too which helps elimination and abdominal bloat.
Since you came here to find out how to reduce PMS symptoms like bloating for example,
here is a handy list of foods that relieve PMS bloating.
A list of bloat reducing vegetables include: asparagus, beets, cucumbers, lettuce, parsley, spinach, tomatoes.
6. Probiotics – these you can find in yogurt and are good bacteria that keep you regular and bloat free. Eat yogurt for the acidophilus it contains as well as the calcium.
Those women who eat the most calcium rich foods notice less menstrual problems, especially with their moods.
7. – Fats – there are essential fatty acids you need to metabolize hormones. These so-called EFAs contain a fatty acid called gamma-linolenic acid and or omega-3 fats. These
fats help PMS because they help regulate many things in the body. Try getting some flaxseed oil at the grocery store because it has a lot of omega 3 making it good
to eat during your period.
8. Chocolate – chocolate boosts the serotonin in your brain (that feel good chemical you need to feel happy). It contains magnesium which helps calm you too.
Eating a half a dark chocolate bar or perhaps a hot chocolate made with cocoa can aid you in feeling better during PMS.
Tips On How To Reduce PMS Symptoms
Last by not least is to make sure you drink a lot of water. Many people think that drinking water when you are bloated just makes things worse.
In fact, the opposite is true because water helps your body to actually eliminate built up fluid.
So, now that you know how to reduce PMS symptoms by eating the right foods get your grocery list together and get your PMS diet started!