Diet For Good Eyesight
Diet For Good Eyesight
Foods To Eat For Healthy Eyes
Foods To Avoid
Sample Diet Plan – Vitamins For Eyes
This page will give you..
1. A one day diet for healthy eyes (printable)
2. A list of the best foods to eat for healthy eyes (printable) so you can create your own diets
3. A list of foods to prevent eye disease (printable)
4. General Information on age related eye disease
5. An optometrists book on what diet to eat for healthy eyes and good eyesight.
If you’re careful about what you put on your plate you can ward off eye problems in the future. Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, vitamins C and vitamin E, plus lutein are all nutrients that can help your eye health.
There is a really good book Written by Dr. Laurie Capogna and Dr. Barbara Pelletier, two optometrists that can help you save your eyes by giving you the info you need to follow an eyefoods diet. Eyefoods is a tool to encourage anyone interested in maintaining good eye health to uncover the power of specific foods to stop or prevent eye disease.
I learned about this book last time I visited my eye doctor after I asked her about a diet for good eyesight.
You can get the book at the bottom of the page. For those of you who do not have the money to buy a book right now you can follow a simple diet I have put together for you to help your eyes.
The sample diet further down the page is based from research I have done and the information is basically taken from reputable sources such as readers digest or specific studies on nutrients or vitamins that help the eyes.
I provide you with a one day diet for good eyesight and a list of the best foods you can eat for good eye health. You can use this list to put together your own diet for good eyesight or diet plan for a week, a month or however long you like. Or, you could tape it to your fridge and refer to it every day, making sure you are frequently eating foods from this list.
It is also important not to eat certain foods that can damage the eyes such as Canola oil (commonly used when frying foods)
So, I also provide you with a list of foods to avoid to maintain healthy eyes.
About Macular Degeneration and Cataracts – Age Related Eye Diseases
These two diseases of the eye are generally age related problems that affect older people.
The main issue causing these eye troubles is free radical damage. Inflammation or oxidation of the eyes are the usual reasons that eye damage such as this occurs.
The amazing thing is that they are quite possibly preventable by eating a diet rich in anitoxidant foods and a diet for good eyesight in general.
There has been research showing that foods that contain lutein and zeaxanthin can minimize the risk of eye diseases.
Such foods as leafy green vegetables, bilberry, black currants and eggs can help the eyes.
List Of Eye Healthy Foods – Vitamins For Eyes
To start with here is a list of some of the top eye healthy food sources included in a diet for good eyesight. This includes which nutrient or vitamins for eyes the food contains that makes it good food for eyesight.
Brussels sprouts, oranges, broccoli, corn, eggs, collard greens, papayas, kale, romaine lettuce, spinach, nectarines, squash
Omega-3 fatty acids
Flaxseed and flaxseed oil, fish like halibut, sardines, tuna, salmon,
Apricots, carrots, skim milk ricotta cheese , spinach, mangos, red peppers ,sweet potatoes, fresh cantaloupe
grapefruit, kiwi, oranges, broccoli, brussels sprouts, fresh red peppers and strawberries
broccoli, almonds, pecans, peanut butter, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, spinach
Chickpeas, lean pork chops, lean red meat, oysters and low fat yogurt
List of Foods To Avoid For Healthy Eyesight
A diet for good eyesight also must include the foods you should not eat…foods that could potentially damage your eyes.
- Refined sugar
- Packaged deli meat
- Foods with high cholesterol – eggs is an exception
- Highly-processed, store bought foods -red meat, fatty dairy products and fried foods
- Packaged anything, like cakes,potatoe chips cookies etc
- French fries unless baked
- Vegetable oils like canola
Here is the one day diet plan I created for you for free to help you get started with your diet for good eyesight. Personally I do put a pat of margarine on my bread or veggies because I don’t want to go crazy depriving myself totally. But I stick to this type of diet
as close as humanly possible. Hell, if you eat a few cookies once and a while, don’t beat yourself up…just go back on the diet.
Everything you do towards maintaining or keeping healthy eyes is beneficial.
Sample Diet Plan For Good Eyesight
- Boiled or poached Eggs – lutein, vitamin E, and omega 3s
- 1 or 2 pieces of whole grain toast – vitamin E, zinc and niacin
- A citrus fruit salad with oranges, grapefruit, kiwi fruit, berries.
- 1/2 cup chickpeas -zinc
- Leafy green salad including kale, spinach, collards or other leafy greens- lutein and zeaxanthin
- top with a homemade balsamic vinegar or virgin olive oil herb dressing. virgin olive oil (rich in omega-3)
- 1 cup of low fat plain yogurt -zinc
- mixed with blueberries -vitamin c and lutein
- handful or walnuts – vit E
- Steamed broccoli and kale- Lutein, zeaxanthin, beta-carotene, vitamin E
- Steamed carrots -vit A, beta carotene
- Fish such as salmon or tuna -omega 3 fatty acids
Evening– if hungry or for any snack
- eat a spoonful or flax seeds or sunflower seeds – more omega 3 and vitamin E
have an apple if hungry – not on the list of a diet for good eyesight but will sweep away cholesterol and has many other health benefits (like the doctor said an apple a day keeps the doctor away!)
Here is the link to the great book by the two optometrists I promised you earlier. Packed with all the info you need to keep your eyes healthy and a good read if you want to learn more on a diet for good eyesight.
Image on this page is courtesy of Free Digital Images.com by rakratchada torsap