The handy BMI calculator chart or body mass index formula below will help you find your body mass index number.
What is the Body Mass Index?
The BMI is a ratio of height to weight that is an indication of your weight related health risks.
The BMI is considered the most accurate way to predict if your weight could cause you to die before your time from health risks such as, heart disease, cancer or diabetes.
After doing the calculations you should end up with a number anywhere between 19 and 32.
I know this sounds complicated and maybe a bit scary but its really simple. How to calculate BMI? or how to figure BMI can be done in two ways.
You can easily look at the chart to determine your BMI or get out a calculator and use the following body mass index calculation. Do your body mass index calculation before you start a weight-loss diet plan to find out if you fall into a risk category.
If you have a BMI or 30 or more and once you start your weight loss plan, re-calculate your BMI monthly until you get your result below 30. Once you get it down you can basically forget about your body mass index and just keep on your diet plan. You don’t have to compute body mass index constantly anymore by using the BMI calculator chart.
How To Calculate Your Healthy Body Mass Index:
Divide your weight in pounds by your height in inches squared (this means that you multiply the number of inches by the same number of inches) and then multiply the result by 705.
So, for example if you weigh150 pounds and are 67 inches tall the calculation is as follows.
1. first multiply your height in inches (in this case we multiply 67×67=4489 squared
2. next divide your weight which is 150 by 4489 =0.033 rounded off
3. then we multiply 0.033 by 705 = 23.265 rounded off we get our BMI as 23
Another method is to look at the “BMI index chart” where the math has been done for you.
- A BMI between 19 and 22 is considered desirable. A BMI between 23 and 25 means that you are at a normal weight, (perhaps just on the border of getting to be overweight) but probably not at high risk for weight-related diseases.
- A BMI of about 26, means your risk for disease starts to increase.
- If you are between 25 and 27 you may be in a perfectly healthy BMI range depending on other factors that must be taken into account as a whole. These include things like your family history, eating habits, age, and physical activity levels.
- Anything after 28 means you are getting into the health risk zone.
- If your BMI is over 30 means you are obese and therefore at much greater risk to get weight related diseases such as heart disease for example. Here is our free BMI chart to make it easier if you don’t like calculating body mass index yourself.
BMI Calculator Chart/Body Mass Index
Height Weight in pounds
If you find this BMI calculator chart helpful for weight loss leave a comment.