Adrenal Reset Diet
This page will provide information on the adrenal reset diet. It includes a 3 day meal plan and recipes for good adrenal function.
Weight Gain And The Adrenal Glands
While many people blame it on high fructose corn syrup or toxins, he believes there’s a better answer.“We gain weight not because we’re lazy or indulgent,” he says,“but because our cortisol rhythms are disrupted.”
The adrenal glands produce cortisol, known as the ‘stress hormone’, which governs our metabolic rate, maintains blood sugar levels, and is directly related to the body’s ‘fight or flight’ response.
Dr. Christianson developed the Adrenal Reset Diet as a way to combat adrenal fatigue, a theory stating that all the stresses of life overtax your adrenal glands, causing them to cycle incorrectly and putting the body on red alert, storing fat as if a famine is approaching. When your lymph system gets backed up it causes weight gain and other symptoms, including:
3. Fuzzy or troubled thinking
Dr. Christianson explains the problem in a manner anyone can relate to: a human takes in food, but the body stores the calories instead of burning them and providing energy. His solution hinges on the idea of creating an environment where our body feels safe enough to snap out of the famine-preparation state,no longer holding on to every excess calorie it can.
You are allowed to eat as much of the specified whole foods list (found in the book) as you wish, focusing on nutrient-dense foods at the right times. He also recommends 2,000 IU daily vitamin D and 250-600 mg daily magnesium.
For exercise, he recommends leisurely activity for 2.5 hours per week, such as a walk or bike ride. The adrenal reset diet must include some form of exercise.
Adrenal Reset Diet Method
1. Start your day with sunlight or a lamp that produces at least 10,000 lux every morning.
2. Eat your biggest meal at night so the body can convert it into usable fuel. It takes 8 hours for the body to produce glycogen, the main fuel your muscles use, from food.
3. Eat foods that support adrenal health. Magnesium is depleted during moments of high adrenal stress, so eating lots of spinach and beans keeps this life-sustaining mineral in supply. Vitamin C, from bell peppers and kale, help suppress the hormones known as adrenaline, cutting down on the body’s stress levels. Broccoli and chicken are high in panthothenic acid, which aids cortisol production.
4. Eat a high-protein breakfast with few carbohydrates, and slowly increase carbohydrate intake throughout the day. Eat at least 24 to 35 grams of protein with every meal, and avoid starchy vegetables such as potatoes. Only eat fruit, which is high sugar, two or three times a week.
5. Eat as much as you wish of foods like alfalfa sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, bamboo shoots, baby corn, cabbage, cauliflower, mushrooms, water chestnuts, jicama, lime or lemon juice, radishes, rutabaga, spinach, and water chestnuts.
The Three Disruptions and their Fixes
Dr Christianson is a naturopathic doctor, with a clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona. As such, he recommends the following ‘fixes’ for the three major manifestations of cortisol disruption.
1. Stressed – High cortisol levels make you feel scattered mentally, edgy, and have difficulty falling asleep
Morning: 25-50mg of lemon balm, or drink a lemon balm tea
Evening: 33-66mg of a standardized 3.5% flavonoid content passionflower extract or drink a passionflower tea (*Note: If taking depression or insomnia medications, consult a health practitioner)
Commit to strength training exercises
2. Wired and Tired – Low morning, erratic day, and high night cortisol levels cause difficulty staying asleep
Morning: 100-300mg of 0.8 to 1.0 percent salidroside and 2-4 percent rosavin content Rhodiola extract
Evening: 500-1,000mg of powdered Ashwagandha root in capsule form. Can also be repeated in the morning. (*Note: Consult a health practitioner if taking a thyroid replacement)
Commit to alternating high/low intensity cardio workouts
3. Crashed – Low over-all cortisol levels cause constant exhaustion. You want for salty or sugary snacks.
Morning: 30-100mg American ginseng
Evening: Cup of chamomile tea
Commit to slow-paced yoga or a morning and evening leisurely walk
Adrenal Reset Diet Plan
The 3-day – adrenal reset diet – meal plan
Breakfast: Spinach Omelet
Lunch: Asian Chicken Salad (See recipe below)
Dinner: Chicken Stir Fry over 1 cup Brown Rice (See recipe below)
Breakfast: Chocolate Berry Protein Shake (See recipe below)
Lunch: Bell Pepper Egg-In-A-Hole (See recipe below)
Dinner: Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa (See recipe below)
Breakfast: Avocado Baked Egg (See recipe below)
Lunch: Ham and Cheese Rollups
Dinner: Turkey Chili (See recipe below)
Adrenal Diet Recipes
These are a few favorite recipes of the adrenal reset diet.
Asian Chicken Salad
1 cup baby spinach
¼c sliced almonds
1 chicken breast, cooked and diced
¼c shelled edamame
1 green onion, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
1/4c rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 packet monk fruit sweetener
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 clove garlic, pressed
After cooking the chicken breast, dice and set it aside to cool. Mix the spinach, edamame, and green onion in a bowl or container to take to work. In another bowl, mix the dressing and either package separately to transport, or toss with the chicken and salad. Top with sliced almonds and serve immediately.
Easy Chicken Stirfry
1 chicken breast, diced
1 cup brown rice, cooked
¼ c soy sauce
2 packets monk fruit sweetener
½ tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp fresh ginger, minced
½ tbsp garlic, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tbsp sesame oil
½ green bell pepper, diced
¼ c broccoli
½ can sliced water chestnuts, drained
¼ c sliced carrot
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1. Combine soy sauce, monk fruit sweetener and cornstarch in a bowl. Mix until smooth, then add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes. Coat chicken with marinade and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
2. Heat sesame oil over medium high heat and add bell pepper, water chestnuts, carrots, and broccoli until barely tender, 3-5 minutes. Set vegetables aside.
3. Add chicken, reserving marinade, to the pan with 1 tbsp sesame oil. Cook over medium high heat. Add vegetables and marinade to skillet and bring to a boil, cooking until tender, 5-7 minutes. Serve over rice.
Chocolate Strawberry Protein Shake
This is my favorite adrenal reset diet shake.
½ c water
2 tbsp flax or chia seeds
1 c ice
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
2 tbsp sugar free chocolate syrup
1/4c frozen strawberries
1. Blend together until smooth
Bell Pepper Egg-in-a-Hole
I love this recipe from the adrenal reset diet.
1 bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/2” rings
½ c shredded Parmesan
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Place 4 pepper rings into pan and saute for a minute.
2. Crack one egg into the center of each bell pepper slice, adding slowly so it doesn’t leak
3. Sprinkle with pepper and let cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip very carefully.
4. Top with Parmesan and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Serve warm
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
2 c well-chopped broccoli
1 3/4c vegetable broth
1 chicken breast, diced
1 c quinoa
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook thoroughly.
2. Set chicken aside and combine broccoli, broth, garlic, and quinoa in pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover, simmering for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the broth is absorbed.
3. Stir the chicken and cheese into the quinoa and cover, setting aside for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve. This is one yummy adrenal reset diet recipe!
Avocado Baked Egg
Another good egg recipe of the adrenal reset diet.
2 ripe avocado
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tbsp chopped chives or green onion, to top
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Slice avocado in half, careful not to damage the skin, and remove the pit. Scoop out about 2 tbsp of flesh from the center to create a well the egg will fit in.
3. Place the avocados in a small baking dish, making sure they will not tip over.
4. Crack an egg into each avocado half. Try to add the yolk first, then fill with the whites.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the egg whites set.
6. Season with pepper and chives or green onions. Enjoy!
¼ tsp olive oil
¼ lb ground turkey
¼ onion, chopped
½ c water
¼ can crushed tomatoes
¼ can kidney beans, drained/rinsed/mashed
1 ½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp oregano
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp cumin
Pinch salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Cook turkey until brown, then stir in onion and cook until tender.
2. Mix the rest of the ingredients into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20-30 minutes.
If you suffer with poor adrenal function, find yourself tired and fuzzy minded often then give the adrenal reset diet a try.
Click the link below to check it out.
The Adrenal Reset Diet: Strategically Cycle Carbs and Proteins to Lose Weight, Balance Hormones, and Move from Stressed to Thriving